Translate this site:
German
Danish
Dutch
French
Norwegian
Spanish
Swedish



Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Boy Glut

This was not my terminology, this was the term used in the email I was giving a synopsis of. Someone asked me about it in the comments, and I responded with:
The "boy glut" term wasn't defined in the email, but I was assuming they were referring to the fact that China has more boys than girls, and that eventually there will be millions of men who will not be able to marry.
And now people are emailing me asking me to clarify the meaning. I don't know what else to tell you. That is the term they used. I've given my best guess as to their use of the word. I just assumed they were referring to the fact that China has lots more boys than girls. I guess I mistakenly assumed that this was a well known result of the one birth policy. Are ya'll assuming it means something else?

7 Comments:

Blogger eli said...

i would define it exacly as you have. the term 'boy glut'gave me pause when i first read it, but i came to the same conclusion.

The fact that significant societal change ( like no brides among other things) could result from years of "missing" chinese girls has been written about widely.

i think i read that there are like 110 boys for every 100 girls. or some such figure that doesnt sound large but is actually quite significant. my figures probably arent exactly accurate but it is something like that...

4/12/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Autumn and Baba said...

eli-
you're correct...i've read the same thing about the 110 boys to 100 girls thing. like you said, initially doesn't sound like much...but if you look at the overal picture including China's population and where they say it'll be in 5 to 10 years...

4/12/2006 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger chad-roscoe said...

i was the confused one, because i thought, why would there being more boys in their population than girls affect the rate of adoption?

instead i thought that they were saying that there were suddenly a lot of boys up for adoption, because i had read that families having had second boys born were giving them up because of the one child policy, and since most everyone adopting automatically requests girls, they had a boy glut...
duh, right?
sheepishly yours~
dianne

4/12/2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Stinky Mouse said...

chad-roscoe,
don't feel too sheepish. There are many boys in the Chinese adoption system, and Americans are looking to China for girls. When given an option, up to 80% of those seeking to adopt will ask for a girl.

4/13/2006 01:10:00 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

I just read that the CCAA has the permission by the Chinese government to process 13.000 adoptions per year, and that they reach that number in June already!
And because of that they slow everything down.

Our agency expects a wait of at least 18 months. (LID Nov)

4/13/2006 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger RumorQueen said...

Don't feel sheepish Dianne, there were several people who questioned it.

bibi - that keeps coming up, we know that they (supposedly) try to keep it under 13,000 a year, but we also know they are doing less this year than they did last year, so I don't think they have hit it yet.

I think I'm going to have a look at what agencies are telling new clients as far as time frames.

4/13/2006 06:38:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

glut means to overfill/over supply or fill to capacity/flood. RQ has got it pegged!

4/14/2006 06:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home