Translate this site:
German
Danish
Dutch
French
Norwegian
Spanish
Swedish



Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Burger King Ignoramus

No, this is not adoption related. Our family does not really do fast food. We just don't. My daughter has never eaten at McDonalds or Taco Bell. I'm sure someday she'll talk about her deprived childhood because of it, but that's just the way it is. We were out shopping and our daughter was hungry and we needed to eat really quick because we had a lot to do. I saw us coming up on a Burger King and said "oh, they have veggie burgers, let's just eat there". So we pull in. I ask for a veggie burger in the kid's meal, they say they can't do that. Bummer, but, whatever. I order us veggie burgers and fries. Then I see something on the menu, it says that they have Little Tikes toys available upon request. I ask about it, the guy gets the manager. The manager says I should have ordered a kids meal if I wanted a toy. I said "I asked for a veggie burger in a kid's meal, but was told I couldn't get that". He said "why would you want a veggie burger in a kid's meal?". Arg. I told him we are vegetarians. And he says "you could have gotten chicken tenders in it". I said "no, we are vegetarians, no chicken, look the menu says Little Tikes toys available upon request, are they not really available?" And then the man starts almost ranting that chicken is not meat and I should have just gotten chicken tenders in the kids meal. I just looked at him, trying not to say "are you really that stupid?". After a very long pause, as I really hoped he'd figure out what a stupid thing he'd just said.... I finally, very quietly, said "you have to kill the chicken before you can eat it, we prefer not to eat dead animals". He stared at me about ten or fifteen seconds as his brain worked through that one, and finally went and got a toy. A crappy toy that really wasn't worth that conversation. No more Burger King for us. Maybe ever. Sheesh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zionita said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/04/2006 04:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm what sort of veggie did this idiot think a chicken was? Isn't it amazing how stupid some people really can be?

1/04/2006 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger queleanorirk said...

This is an issue that drives me insane. I want to be a vegan; not quite there yet, but I don't eat any flesh. It is hard to eat out when you're in a mall or shopping situation. Once I was with a friend who told me her daughter had become a vegetarian. I was delighted. We walked around for a long time to find somewhere the daughter and I could eat. My friend was finally satisfied with a place called, I think, Ranch One. She bought her daughter a great big chicken sandwhich--I got a salad--and we've been arguing ever since about her insistence that chicken and fish are not meat. AARRRGGGHHH!You also have to be very careful when ordering food in restaurants, esp. ethnic ones. I always ask, There's no meat in this, right? even if the sauce says marinara or it's supposed to be just rice and beans. Frequently, sauces and broths are made with meat, or they just flat out lie to you cause it's easier for them.(One time I ordered rice and beans to take home and found piles of pork in it when I got it home.)

1/05/2006 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger RumorQueen said...

My favorite chain restaurants that serve vegetarian (but probably not vegan) are:

Olive Garden
Fazoli's
CiCi's Pizza (hey, my daughter likes it)
Most of the Japanese "fix it at your table" places.

I can also eat at a dozen or so other chain restaurants with no problem. And we have several locally owned Mexican, Greek, Italian, Chinese, and Thai places that I'll eat at way before i go to a chain store.

When eating at a Chinese restaurant, tell the wait staff that you need to eat like a Buddhist. Often they don't understand "vegetarian", or "no meat", but most of them do understand how a Buddhist eats. I was given this advice when in China, and I've used it a few times back in the US when I was aware the waiter wasn't understanding me.

1/05/2006 09:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home